After the silhouettes, I looked at sections of the face, particularly my husband's face and ended up with a kind of animated drawing of his features. A bad version of Homer emerged, thanfully husband never goes near my blogs.
Using a couple different decorated papers I cut out the sections and played around with them in various designs, omitting a few and duplicating a few others.
I think I prefer the 3D look.
I did some drawing exercises based loosely on his face using wax candle, oil pastels and watercolour inks. Like other students before me this got quite addictive - these are just a sample:
I then thought it might be fun to replace some of the features with 'real' photographed features of his.