I started to follow the technique using quite a coarse tapestry mesh with thick wools but the scale didn't seem to help so I very quickly moved on to using bookbinders' muslin as a base. This muslin has a fine even weave with visible holes but also has a lot of stiffener in it, obviously for bookbinder. This stiffener proved very useful and I found I didn't need a hoop to stabilise the material.
3.1 I created a chevron pattern with green Perle cotton thread, similar to that seen in some of the borders of the Opus Anglicanum pieces
These samples were approx 3cm wide.
I actually quite enjoyed this despite it feeling like it was taking forever to do and it appearing to get smaller as you worked on it! So much so that I started work on a small sample worked on velvet (before I realised that you were supposed to work through a linen layer too then pick all the strands of linen away- aargh!) - very unsuccessful, so bad in fact that a photo of the disaster will not be uploaded. My admiration definitely goes to those Medieval craftsmen!
I had more success working on 32count linen and put a few samples in my chapter 1 research book on Opus Anglicanum - not quite completed yet....
B. Underside couching machine stitch