Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Texture trials

I just received confirmation of my booking to go to summer school next year and I'm so excited, I can't wait. It'll be 4 years since I was last there but I still have the work we did (of course) using stick people as inspiration, albeit still unfinished (of course). We haven't booked our flights yet but the important part is done!

I'm looking at texture from my sketches in more detail but got a bit sidetracked last week by Maggie Grey's online workshops from her new book. Those of you who are following these (and I know there must be a few) will recognise my textured panels
They use papercasts and liquid Sculpey set in a background of gesso. I then sewed the panels together using a ladder stitch through the zig-zag edging to form the 3D 'book' below. I say 'book' because as yet it doesn't have any pages. I plan to make some paper, perhaps with some leaves or plant material embedded. The photo below is closer to its true colouring of metallic olive and gold.
Now to get back to that texture work from the sketches....

1 comment:

Karen Hurrell said...

Hi Helen,

Good to hear that you are booked onto next year's Summer School. I shall look forward to meeting you in person.

I have a 'book' at about the same stage as yours. Do post your pictures on the Catalogue Killers blog if you haven't done so already.

Karen