Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Paper and silk resolved samples

Chapter 10 called for resolved samples of some of my designs using each (or a combination) of the following techniques: silk paper, soluble methods, handmade paper and pulp.
One design I picked from this module as this would extend the use of pulp around wire bottle shapes which I enjoyed.

I made a wire frame and inserted shaped wires to convey some of the bottle outlines found in the design. The wire was wrapped in masking tape as before to aid sticking of the pulp. Then I wrapped and knotted thin strips of dark green patterned sheer and perle in sections where I wanted the pulp to stick and to give a texture to the otherwise 'flat' paper (10.2). It also implied the patterns created in the original monoprinted tissue.

10.2 frame ready for pulp
The frame was dipped into paper pulp dyed green, pressed slightly and left to dry.

I went on to prepare 2 bottles stitched on water soluble fabric which would be an additional layer to the pulp frame.
This is the finished sample below:

The motifs were attached using loose insertion stitches through the wire in yellow and white perle cotton.  The knotted lattice in yellow is a nod to the strip of yellow scrim in the original design.

For my second sample I went back to a decorated design paper I had from module 2 featuring a vague gridwork effect.

I forgot to take "in process" photos so here is the finished sample:

Again there are a number of layers to this: first used water soluble fabric to prepare grids using perle cotton.  Once dried, green paper pulp was distributed over and under the grids in places to hold together.  The green of the pulp has not come out in the photo unfortunately.  Dried once more, this was sandwiched between a few layers of green chiffon and green, bronze translucent sheers.  A grid pattern was stitched through everything in gold and then heat gunned to leave only a rough grid pattern in sheers and expose the pulped grid.

My third sample derived from a design in module 4:

This time I started by making a very thin and holey piece of silk paper using silk tussah trapping scraps of dyed scrim.

Several individual lace motifs of leaves were prepared on water soluble fabric as in 10.3, and sandwiched along with thin mohair yarn between the silk paper and a layer of white synthetic organza.

These layers were free machined together using a similar leaf pattern, then heat gunned to partially remove the organza layer. Finally some very loose cabling of perle in the bobbin was stitched on top.

All are not literal translations of the designs but I'm happy that the original design features have been represented in these mediums.

1 comment:

Els said...

Another mountain of work Helen !
It's so much fun to read and see if I get all the things you're telling out of the picture ;-)